(UPDATED JUNE 1, 2020)
Like so many practices and health care institutions around the country, at Suburban Gastroenterology (SGI) we have had to adjust to the continually evolving guidelines and recommendations from the CDC, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and our national and medical societies.
During the COVID-19 pandemic Suburban Gastroenterology has continued to provide high quality care to our patients. We made some important changes however in the way we deliver that care so as to minimize the risk of exposure to both our patients and staff.
- We immediately began and developed a robust tele medicine practice using both audio and visual platforms.
- A limited number of patients, for whom tele medicine was not an appropriate option, continued to be seen in the Naperville office by our physicians.
- There was no interruption to infusion therapy that is given to our patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
SO WHAT’S NEW AT SUBURBAN GASTROENTEROLOGY?
As the Governor has now eased restrictions on returning to work as well as access to health care, medical and surgical procedures, we are happy to announce the following:
Elective and non-urgent procedures are now being scheduled. The Midwest Endoscopy Center (MEC) will officially reopen on Thursday, June 4, 2020. Please check the MEC website for information on new safety and infection control measures that are being taken.
OFFICE VISITS AND CONSULTATIONS
Our practice, in the main Naperville location, has reopened to ALL patients, from the routine office visits to the most urgent ones. Further information will be provided as to when our satellite offices reopen. In the meantime, patients normally seen at those sites can be seen in Naperville or continue to use tele medicine services.
We have put several new measures into place to help ensure your safety when you visit our office:
- All patients and staff will be required to wear a mask or face covering at all times.
- Everyone who enters the building – patients, staff and visitors – will have a “touchless” temperature taken. They will also be asked a number of important health related screening questions.
- Social distancing policies will be in effect.
- Visitors will no longer be allowed in the building, except in specific circumstances (such as an adult accompanying a minor or individual with special needs).
- Extensive cleaning of all patient rooms, restrooms and other high contact areas will be performed on a regular basis.
- We are using a new phone system as well as a system to allow text messaging to our physicians – and, YES – we of course continue to utilize MyChart.
- We are also strongly encouraging on-line and phone services to help with pre-registration, scheduling and bill payments. All of this is designed to decrease congestion in the office.
These changes will be new to all of us. And we expect there will be some “bumps” along the way.
Although no organization can completely eliminate the risks of COVID-19 exposure, we want to assure you of our commitment and dedication to providing the safest environment for both our patients and staff.
THE PHYSICIANS AND STAFF AT SUBURBAN GASTROENTEROLOGY, LTD.