We understand how challenging it can be to convince our significant others to have or get a colonoscopy after age 50. But, colon cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer related deaths in the U.S.
Our Top 5 Reasons to Get a Colonoscopy:
1. Ensures you avoid the 2nd leading Cause of Cancer
According to the CDC, colon cancer is second only to lung cancer, and a close second also to the leading cause of death: heart disease.
While incidences of colon cancer are high, in so far as cancers go, it is the most detectable and treatable if found early through a colonoscopy.
2. Reduces your risk and gives you peace of mind.
90% of all cases of colon cancer can be prevented with screening.
If any of your family members have had polyps, stomach or bowel problems, or other cancers (e.g. breast or ovarian cancer) and/or other diseases like Crohn’s or Colitis then you are at greater risk. Getting screened for colon cancer will help give you peace of mind knowing and being proactive in having treatment if necessary. Catching it early when it’s most easily treated, is key
3. Clears up any confusion
Getting a colonoscopy demystifies what any of those nagging pains in your gut or thoughts running through you mind may be all about.
Don’t think it may or may not just be something you ate as many people never experience any symptoms!
4. Reaffirms your commitment to overall wellness
As we age, we forget how many years of stress and strain we have put on our bodies. For those in our population who are 50 and older (45 and older in the African American communities,) tend to take our gastrointestinal health for granted. It’s not until we have a problem do we maybe do something about it.
According to the American Cancer Society, the best advice about diet and activity to possibly reduce your risk of colon cancer is to:
- Increase the intensity and amount of physical activity
- Limit intake of red and processed meats
- Get the recommended levels of calcium and vitamin D
- Eat more vegetables and fruits and maintain a healthy diet
- Avoid obesity and weight gain around the midsection
- Avoid excess alcohol
5. Ensures you’re around to live a healthy and productive life!
Having a colonoscopy is a gift we give to ourselves!